Louisiana Tech University Logo

College of Education - Louisiana Tech University

Alternative Certification

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does the Program Cost?
Please see Tuition and Fees for the current tuition and fee schedule.

Do you offer online courses?
Yes. Online classes are determined on a quarterly basis. During early advising, check with your advisor regarding availability.

What are acceptable GRE scores?
GRE not required.

Do you admit students on a "conditional basis?"
No. All admission requirements including PRAXIS exam(s) must be passed prior to admittance into the program. 

What if I do not have a cumulative UGPA of 2.5?
For the MAT programs, you must have a 2.5 cumulative UGPA. You may take additional undergraduate courses in order to raise your UGPA to the required level. You may submit copies of all undergraduate transcripts to Ms. Gleason for evaluation by mail or fax. Please indicate the program you are interested in and your contact information.

Mail to Louisiana Tech University, Attn: Melanie Gleason, P.O Box 3163, Ruston, LA 71272 or Fax to (318) 257-3950.

What tests should I take in order to be admitted?
PRAXIS I Core Academic Skills for Educators and PRAXIS II Content Exam. However, an ACT composite score of 22 or higher OR an SAT combined verbal and math score of 1030 or higher, OR a Master’s Degree or higher will allow you to waive the PRAXIS I.

Must I have completed 30 hours of undergraduate coursework in the content area?

MAT - No. A passing score on the PRAXIS II content exam(s) is sufficient to show content mastery.

How do I register to take the exams?
PRAXIS I and PRAXIS II exams (computer-based) may be taken at Delta Community College in Monroe or Prometrics in Bossier City. To register, go to ETS Website You may also access test preparation information and retrieve your scores at this site. For test numbers and passing score information, go to PRAXIS Requirements

When does the program start?
Tech is on the quarter system (10-week quarters). The fall quarter begins in early September (application deadline is August 1st), winter quarter in late November/early December (application deadline is November 1st), spring quarter in early March (application deadline is February 1st), and summer quarters in early June first session and July second session (application deadline is May 1st).

How many classes must I take each quarter?
You are required to be enrolled in at least one class in order to be considered as active in the program. You may take up to 9 hours each quarter (6 hours is full-time). If you are unable to attend one of the quarters, you will need to complete a one-page, no-fee readmit form to come back into the program. If you are out more than one quarter, you will have to submit a new application with fee. If anything has changed, you will be subject to new requirements.

How long will it take to complete the program?
This will vary depending on which program you are in, how many classes you choose to take each quarter, and whether you will complete clinical practice (student teaching) in one quarter or an internship in three quarters.

What is the difference between student teaching and an internship? Do I have to complete both?
Clinical Practice (student teaching) is one-quarter long and is for any candidate that is not in a current teaching position. Internship is for those already teaching in an approved public or private school and is one school year long (Fall - Winter - Spring quarters). Interns will complete internship in their own classroom.