Students expecting to graduate should note the following requirements:
- You must be enrolled at Louisiana Tech University during the quarter you expect to be a degree candidate.
- You may not make a grade lower than "C" in any specialized, academic course.
- You must earn a cumulative grade point average of at-least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- It is YOUR responsibility to report your candidacy to the Dean and to the University Registrar within the first three weeks of the quarter. YOU must register to graduate in the University Registrar’s Office (Keeny Hall 207). This formally initiates the final degree audit process in preparation for conferral of the degree.
- If you miss the deadline, you must have their Academic Dean’s written permission for late addition to the degree candidates list.
- Arrangements for graduation robes, caps, invitations, etc., should be made through the University Bookstore as soon as registration for graduation is completed.
- If you require transfer course work to meet degree requirements, you must have an official transcript with the final grade posted in the Registrar’s Office no later than the date that all degree-candidate grades are due.
- Each qualified degree candidate is expected to be present at the commencement ceremony. A candidate can petition to be absent through a written request to the University President. Information concerning duplicate diplomas, diploma mailing fees, and other diploma services can be obtained from the Commencement Coordinator located in the University Registrar’s Office or online at www.latech.edu/registrar/graduation.
- It is highly recommended that the candidate register in the Career Center (Keeny Hall 340) during the quarter preceding the one in which he/she expects to graduate.
- A candidate for graduation who fails to pass the final examination in only one course during the last quarter’s work may be permitted to take a “deficiency examination” in this course. The deficiency examination grade will replace only the final examination grade. A deficiency examination will be administered only if said substitution could lead to an overall passing grade. If the student fails the “deficiency examination,” the course must be repeated.
- Candidates who do not meet degree requirements by published deadlines will not be allowed to participate in commencement exercises, nor graduate in the current quarter.
Additionally, students completing a degree leading to Louisiana Teacher Certification must:
- Earn a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.2 and an earned grade point average of 2.5 (on a scale of 4.0).
- Successfully complete three semester hours of Fine Arts selected from the following: Art 290, Kinesiology 280, Music 290, or Speech/Theatre 290. Elementary majors are required to take Liberal Arts 336.
- Complete all required paperwork and pay the fee for certification to be submitted to the state. Original scores on all required parts of Praxis must be on file in the Office of Field and Clinical Experience.