Scholarships and Financial Aid
Paying for higher education can be an expensive and daunting proposition. At Louisiana Tech, we understand that and want to work with our students to ensure that they receive all the help they possibly can.
In general, there are six forms of financial aid that can be received:
- Grants and Loans that are generally awarded or regulated by the U.S. Federal Government, and include the Federal Stafford Loans and Pell Grants. More information on these programs can be found on the Louisiana Tech Financial Aid Web site.
- State Scholarships are generally awarded on academic merit, and often have residency requirements and limitations on schools at which they can be used. Louisiana residents are eligible for scholarships through the Taylor Opportunity Program for Students (TOPS). TOPS uses a tiered approach to determine the award amount students will receive, the award can only be drawn for up to eight semesters or twelve quarters, and requires attendance at certain Louisiana universities and colleges. More information on the TOPS program is available from the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance.
- University Scholarships are awarded on merit by or for service to the University, and are generally available to students in all areas of academic study. This can include the President's Scholarship for academics, athletic, and band scholarships. Some scholarships, are restricted and available only to Freshmen or transfer students. Others, such as those for athletics and music are generally not restricted in such a way. More information on University Scholarships are available from the Louisiana Tech Admissions Scholarships Web site.
- Departmental (College) Scholarships are awarded by the College, department, or academic unit within which the student is enrolled. Each of the five Colleges at Louisiana Tech is responsible for maintaining their own individual scholarship programs. The College of Education offers an extensive listing of scholarships available to Education students at Louisiana Tech University.
- Private/External (Third Party) Scholarships are awarded by private third parties for use at the College or University of the student's choosing. This includes scholarships awarded by various organizations and clubs, and they may or may not be available for application by the general public. We have compiled a list of some of these on the External Scholarships page, though there are many websites on the Internet that also index private scholarship programs. As is usual with online activity - remember to use good judgement and be prudent.
- Military Grants and Scholarships are awarded as compensation for military service. Commonly referred to as "G.I. Bill" benefits, students who have served time in the military, including Iraq and Afghanistan may be eligible for tuition paid by the U.S. Government, administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Scholarships and grants are also available to students who commit to military service in either active or active duty in any of the U.S. military branches and to some students enrolled in Reserve Officer Training Programs, such as the Louisiana Tech Air Force ROTC program.