COLLEGE OF EDUCATION
The Department of Curriculum, Instruction, and Leadership – Graduate & Certificate Programs
Louisiana Tech University, College of Education, is committed to the personal and professional development of both our current students and other professionals. The Alternative Certification program at Louisiana Tech University offers a pathway to teacher certification with a Master of Arts in Teaching degree. This program is designed for persons who already have obtained a bachelor’s degree in a non-teaching area of study and who are now ready to teach in a PK-12 school.
Admission Requirements (MAT)
How does it work?
- Candidates fully admitted in the MAT and hired by a school district shall be assigned a mentor teacher.
- Candidates are eligible to receive a Practitioner License (PL3) from the Louisiana Department of Education once admitted fully/unconditionally to an alternative certification program.
- PL3 is applicable for four years. The candidate must complete a total of nine credit hours each school year for continuous renewal.
- Degree: Bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited college or university
- GPA: Undergraduate degree cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or above
- General Skills Testing:
- ACT Score of 22 or above, SAT Score of 1130 or above, or current passing scores on Praxis Core exams (see TeachLouisiana for current test numbers and passing scores)
- General skills testing requirement waived by a master’s degree from a regionally-accredited college or university
- Content Area Testing:
- Current passing scores on Praxis Subject Assessment for the certification area being pursued (see TeachLouisiana for current test numbers and passing scores)
- Application: Admissions application form for Louisiana Tech University Graduate School completed and returned to graduate school office
- Important note: Conditional admission is not available for any MAT program.
The M.Ed. in Educational Leadership is a graduate-level teaching program designed to prepare certified teachers for the task of administering educational institutions, particularly at the primary and secondary levels.
Students must complete a 36 semester-hour program, including an internship that extends over a full P-12 school year. Candidates must also attain a satisfactory score on the Louisiana State Department of Education identified test for educational leaders, successfully make a culminating program oral presentation, and receive a passing grade on a culminating e-portfolio. Applicants must be nominated by appropriate professional individuals and meet additional specified application requirements, including the holding of a current state-issued Level II or Level III Professional Teaching Certificate or its equivalent. For more information, contact the Department of Curriculum, Instruction, and Leadership or the Office of Graduate Studies in the College of Education.
The candidate seeking a Master of Education degree in Curriculum and Instruction will be required to earn a minimum of 36 semester hours. An approved plan of study must be submitted during the first quarter of enrollment. In the MEdCI program, students select a concentration of 12 hours minimum which may lead to an additional area of certification. Candidates may choose Research in visually impaired. Additional information regarding the concentration areas may be obtained from the Department Head of Curriculum, Instruction, and Leadership or from the Director of Graduate Studies.
The College of Education offers the Ed.D. in Educational Leadership degree with two concentrations:
- P-12 Educational Leadership
- Higher Education Administration
This is a terminal degree program designed for persons who desire to be effective leaders in various forms of formal organizations such as P-12 schools and school systems (Educational Leadership) and colleges and universities (Higher Education Administration). The program is founded in rigorous coursework, practical experiences, and relevant research pursuits.
The Department of Curriculum, Instruction, and Leadership also offers graduate certificates in multiple areas. Click on the certificates below for curriculum information.