COLLEGE OF EDUCATION & HUMAN SCIENCES
Master of Arts in Teaching
Do you have a bachelor’s degree and want to make a positive change in the lives of children? A career in teaching could be one of the most rewarding things you do.
Enroll in Louisiana Tech’s Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program, and in 18 months or less, you can earn a master’s degree and teacher certification in one of these areas:
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Education
- Middle Level Education: Mathematics or Science
- Secondary Education: Agriculture, Biology, Business, Chemistry, English, Mathematics, Physics, Social Studies, or Family and Consumer Sciences
Make a difference that will last for generations. Share your passion and inspire others in the classroom. Help create a community of learners with your MAT cohort family.
MAT applicants are admitted to the program in the summer or fall quarter, so find out more today!
How does it work?
- Candidates fully admitted in the MAT and hired by a school district shall be assigned a mentor teacher.
- Candidates are eligible to receive a Practitioner License (PL3) from the Louisiana Department of Education once admitted fully/unconditionally to an alternative certification program.
- PL3 is applicable for four years. The candidate must complete a total of nine credit hours each school year for continuous renewal.
- Degree: Bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited college or university
- GPA: Undergraduate degree cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or above
- General Skills Testing:
- ACT Score of 22 or above, SAT Score of 1130 or above, or current passing scores on Praxis Core exams (see TeachLouisiana for current test numbers and passing scores)
- General skills testing requirement waived by a master’s degree from a regionally-accredited college or university
- Content Area Testing:
- Current passing scores on Praxis Subject Assessment for the certification area being pursued (see TeachLouisiana for current test numbers and passing scores)
- Application: Admissions application form for Louisiana Tech University Graduate School completed and returned to graduate school office
- Important note: Conditional admission is not available for any MAT program.
- Earn a Master of Arts in Teaching
- No GRE requirement
- Flexible 12-18-month program completion
- 33-39 graduate credit hours
- Tuition discounts