COLLEGE OF EDUCATION
Exercise Science and Physical Education (ESPE) Student Organization
The ESPE student organization in the Department of Kinesiology is open to all undergraduate and graduate Kinesiology students. The purpose of the organization is to:
- Bring about an awareness for the need of recreation and fitness activities on the part of Louisiana Tech students.
- Promote and enhance Kinesiology as a unified field of study and provide opportunities to gain local, state, regional, and national recognition for our profession.
- Work together in various areas of Kinesiology in order to promote effective leadership skills and the 12 Tenets of Tech.
- Enable students to organize campus and community activities to improve everyday living while seeking the satisfaction and pleasure it provides.
- Actively recruit new students interested in Kinesiology to attend Louisiana Tech University.
- Uphold the purpose, rules, and regulations of the university in all activities.
ESPE is open to all Kinesiology students regardless of classification. Active members in ESPE shall be any Louisiana Tech University Kinesiology undergraduate or graduate student who has paid membership dues and who agrees to abide by the principles of the organization. To remain an active member in ESPE, a student must maintain the academic policies of the university. Application for membership are in Memorial Gym 205. For more information, please call Jessica Szymanski at 318.257.2071 or email her at email@example.com.
Phi Epsilon Kappa (PEK) Honorary Fraternity
All students in the Department of Kinesiology at Louisiana Tech University are eligible for membership in the PEK Honorary Fraternity. This is a national professional fraternity for persons engaged in or pursuing careers in Physical Education, Health, Recreation, Dance, Human Performance, Exercise Sciences, Sports Medicine, or Sports Management.
Advantages of membership in a professional fraternity include unique opportunities for working with professional peers, professional growth and leadership development, fraternal spirit and friendships, and networking with other professionals in the field. The national PEK Honorary Fraternity meets during the annual SHAPE convention. National awards are given and scholarships are available. Student members of the honorary fraternity will also receive honor cords to wear when they graduate from Louisiana Tech.
The criteria for joining the Louisiana Tech chapter of PEK includes being a member of the Exercise Science and Physical Education (ESPE) student organization, having an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher, and submitting an application for membership to PEK to Smiley Reeves, our departmental representative. Membership applications are available in Memorial Gym 205. For more information, please call C. Smiley Reeves at 318.257.5459 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.